Content that’s “evergreen” has continued value over time. For example, it’s not an announcement that an important deadline is looming and you better take action; rather, it’s general advice on how to do something. Evergreen content can deliver visitors over a long period, and it helps in search engine rankings because visitors who click on it will tend to stay on the page for a while, and over a long period of time. It’s just the sort of content that you’d want to put on page one of search results if you were Google!
As a practical matter, evergreen content doesn’t have to be replaced as quickly on your site, so it also reduces the workload for busy people who work in small businesses. But that’s not an excuse to put content on your site, decide that it’s evergreen, and then leave the site alone–Google, not to mention your visitors, want fresh content. Supply your site with a continuing flow of new content.
For evergreen content to have impact on your search position, and be most effective, here’s what it needs to have:
- Continued value–As in the example above, write copy that will have value over time, that isn’t tied to some specific event. Luck plays a role here. It’s possible to recommend some specific SEO technique that ceases to be useful the next week. However, if you try to provide good advice to your readers, that’s not tied to specific events, in general that will have some staying power.
- Hold the user–provide enough information so that the reader spends some time on the page. Google measures how long until the reader goes on to the next page, and long times help your search results position.
- Write for SEO–Use important keywords early in the text, in the middle of the text, and at the end of the text. Also put important terms in the heading and in internal links to the page.
- Sell the content in the heading–Have a descriptive heading that draws the reader in
- address a need–Address a real need that your audience has, so that they’ll be interested in the content.
The Bottom Line
Write durable, quality content for your site. And keep adding to it on a regular basis. Over time, you can develop an authoritative site that will rank well in search results.